So today (Jan 19th, in case I don't finish this post very quickly) was my due date and still nothing much is going on. To be expected I guess, since I was 5 days late with Avery, and I have definitely had enough things on the to do list to stay busy. I do hope to have the baby before the weekend, because I expect there will be serious grumpiness if it goes any longer than that...oh well, that will be Greg's problem! :)
Anyway, the "as if" from the title is actually a little adventure that occurred today. I have a Nissan Rogue - generally speaking a car that I have enjoyed driving and it has treated me well. However, for the last 6 months I have had issues with my tires. In the summer, all of a sudden one of the tires seemed to leaking - as evidenced by the fancy dashboard signal that came on to indicate a loss of tire pressure (ain't technology grand!). First problem was that the caps to the air valves were fancy metal (instead of cheap plastic) and had rusted onto the valve stems. When Greg was trying to get them off to put air in the tires, a couple of the caps and tops of the valve stems snapped off. Luckily Nissan replaced all of the valve stems under warranty, because they were not cheap, what with the sensor being in the valve stems and all. Like the $100 each kind of not cheap.
So with that done, I hoped the problem was over. However, a couple of weeks later the air pressure signal came on again, and then again and again despite always adding air. When the pressure was checked, it was always the same tire with what seemed like a slow leak. I took the car to my trusty mechanic, and he sealed up the tires, because apparently the seals on aluminum rims are awful for leaking. This whole business went on until mid-December, when Frank the Mechanic finally seemed to fix the problem. Greg even asked me a couple of days ago if I had had anymore problems with the tire, and I said no - because everything seemed to be fine.
So you can imagine where I am going with this story. This morning I was driving Avery to daycare and first thing, the tire pressure signal went on. Then I started to hear a funny noise, like the tire was being rubbed by ice in the wheel well. Anyway, got to daycare and checked the tire, and of course it was completely flat - out of nowhere! Drove the car home (slowly, and the daycare is really close), and then Greg drove me to my midwife appointment, which I was now late for. Came home, called CAA, they put the spare on for me, we saw that there was a really large construction-type staple in the tire, and I drove off to see Frank. Long story short (too late!), the tire couldn't be saved.
My choices ended up being getting one new tire, which is not really recommended due to the AWD, and it wouldn't be available for a week, OR, getting 4 new tires, even though 3 of the 4 I had were perfectly fine with about 60% of the treads left, and getting them today. And of course, at 4 times the price of the single tire. Sigh...giving that I hope to be having a baby imminently and that I can't drive Greg's car because it is a standard, we chose to just get the 4 new tires. Sigh again. Wasn't really expecting to drop a ton of bucks today. On something as little fun as tires. But I was warned, by Frank ironically, that tires for the Rogue would prove to be stupid-expensive. And he was right! He was also really glad that I didn't go into labour in his waiting room.
Anyway, that was the drama for today. Now that it is all over with, I can go back to focusing on the new kid. Crosss your fingers that she makes an appearance before the weekend!