Friday, January 15, 2010

Yet another shameless rip-off of a great idea...

Once again, I am stealing one of Julie Mason's great ideas - this time it is the recipe blogging.  I also enjoy cooking and when I come across a recipe that works, I do like to pass it along.  This time it is a Thai green mango salad.  This is one of my favourite Thai dishes, and I don't often find salads I like as much as the one I had at my very first and still favourite Thai restaurant: the Thai Shan Inn in Toronto.  This restaurant really is a dive to look at, but the food is amazing.  Supposedly they are moving to new digs soon, but we have been hearing that for years.  At any rate, I did find a great recipe from Canadian Living back in December and I have already made the salad 3 times since then. 

In other good meals, tonight I made a really simple lamb dish that tastes great.  Lately we have been buying boneless leg of lamb from Costco, then chopping it into stew meat size pieces at home.  So the leg I just bought was just under $27 (can't remember the weight unfortunately), but when I cut it up I got 4 portions of meat that will each feed 3 adults generously.  So 12 portions for $27 - about $2.25/portion.  That isn't that expensive, John Kean! :)

The dish I made is this (adapted slightly from my Low Carb Gourmet cookbook by Karen Barnaby):

Approx 2 lbs of lamb (I don't think I had this much), cut into bite-size pieces
~1 tbsp of chopped garlic
~2-3 tbsp of ground coriander seed
~2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
salt & pepper to taste
(measurements are approximate because I don't really measure much - but you can't really go wrong with these ingredients.)

Throw it all in a bowl, mix it up, let it marinate for 2 hours to overnight.
Throw it all in a dry frying pan on medium-high heat, with one medium-sized onion cut in wedges, fry for appoximately 5-10 mins, depending on how rare or not you like your meat, stirring every few mins.

We usually eat it with rice, sliced cucumbers, pita and tzatziki of some sort - tonight it was actually a PC tzatziki dressing.

If you give either of these recipes a try, enjoy!

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

I made the Thai Green Mango Salad this week, it was a hit with EVERYONE!!!

Unknown said...

Excellent! I could eat it at least once a week...