Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Super-yum!


Here is another recipe - I can't take any credit for this one, because it comes coutesy of Bonnie Lawson, but I have to say I have now "tested" it many times and can vouch for its deliciousness and easiness.  These are called Chip Crumble squares, but they might as well as be called heaven in a bite (or 10). Here is the original recipe:

1 cup of butter, softened
1 cup of brown sugar
2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 cup of chocolate chips
1 cup of walnut pieces


1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix butter, brown sugar, flour and vanilla together.
3. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
4. Press into ungreased baking dish - a 9x13inch pan works well.
5. Bake for approximately 25 mins, until squares are slightly browned. Let cool and cut into squares.

And here is how I have modified it:

I have started adding oats (not instant) in place of some of the flour.  For example, 1/2 cup of oats and 1.5 cups of flour worked well, but the oats weren't that noticeable.  Last time I used 1 cup of oats and 1 cup of flour and I had to bake it about 5 mins longer because the oats didn't absorb the butter the way the flour does.  A better ratio would probably be 1.5 cups of oats and 1 cup of flour.  At any rate, all of these combinations still tasted great and that is the most important thing!  I also add about 1 teaspoon of salt, as most recipes with chocolate taste better with a little salt to balance the sweetness.

Please use this recipe and enjoy - and feel free to make it for me any time! :)

1 comment:

danakean said...

Made it - love it:) thanks for sharing.