Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Fish Tacos

I am always looking for new, easy and quick fish recipes.  I would really like our family to eat more fish, but I basically hate cooking it and usually don't really enjoy the fish after I have cooked it myself.  So I went looking for a fish taco recipe - I had heard that fish tacos are supposed to be great, but I haven't ever tried them in a restaurant.  This is the one I found and we loved it!  I think I have made these tacos about once a week for the last month.  My notes are:
- I don't use taco seasoning. Instead I use some ground cumin, ground coriander, salt and pepper to taste. I used to add cayenne as well, but no matter how little I used it always seemed too spicy for Avery so I just stopped. I find that I don't even measure the cumin and coriander, I just guess and keep tasting.  I think it would be hard to go overboard on either of those, especially the coriander.
- I've been using Basa (Vietnamese catfish) fillets lately and have really liked the taste and texture.
- For the cabbage, I usually just buy a bag of pre-shredded coleslaw mix. It works pretty well.
- The sour cream mix is also excellent as a dip with tortilla chips.  I add a little lime to the dip to give it more zing.

If anyone has any great fish recipes to recommend, please send them my way!

No comments: