Saturday, April 5, 2008

4 weeks old, an anniversary and the Miracle Blanket

Four weeks old
Avery turned 4 weeks old on Tuesday, April 1, 2008 - and Greg and I celebrated this occasion by leaving her at home and going out for dinner for our 2 year anniversary. It was all a coincidence and we didn't intentionally want to leave her at home, but it worked out nicely since my mom is currently visiting us and could babysit. It apparently all went smoothly and Avery enjoyed her bottle of boob juice immensely. I only checked my cell phone about 3 times and never called. I was working on the assumption that my mom would call if there was a real problem.

Greg and I went to a restaurant called Ambiente, which is located in New Edinburgh. We had been there once before for a special dinner and enjoyed the food just as much this time around. I would highly recommend it, though it isn't cheap - but the service is excellent, the decor is nice and subtle, and as mentioned, the food is excellent. I also had my first full glass of wine in approximately 10 months. It was a lovely Chenin Blanc from Ontario to go with my scallops, but I never caught the name of the winery. I then asked about Chenin Blanc in the LCBO, since I didn't know anything about it, and apparently the LCBO doesn't have it very often, much less those from Ontario. So I am going to have to do some more research.

Four weeks old
And then there is the Miracle Blanket - this was a present from Amy and Kevin who discovered how well it worked when their son Liam was a newborn. I believe most of our friends now use them on their infants. Amy calls this the "Baby Burrito" and I like to refer to it as a baby straight jacket. At any rate, it works quite well. Avery doesn't see the blanket and start to calm down immediately like some kids do, but at least she doesn't fight me when I wrap her up anymore. She does actually quite like to have her hands free normally, but I think she has accepted the swaddling as part of her night-time routine. And she is sleeping a little longer these days - she sleeps anywhere from 3.5 to 5 hours after her last feeding, and then another 2-4 hours after that. Some mornings I am relatively refreshed, other mornings it is all pretty rough - we never quite know what it is going to be. Now if only I could learn how to nap during the day! :)

1 comment:

haggaret said...

Alyssa you are continuing to amaze me! Already out for dinner and leaving the baby with a sitter - inspiring really. :) I'm not kidding either, I am seriously impressed. I'm also glad to see you're getting back to your PTL ways, what with the glass of wine and all... ;)

Sounds like you guys are doing fantastic. Glad the miracle blanket is working out for you.

Oh and by the way - boob juice - nice work there Lys!