Sunday, April 13, 2008

Running...sigh

Inspired by Julie's first post-pregnancy run, I finally managed to get motivated to do my own first run. And I use the word "run" even more loosely than she does. A brief disclaimer: I have always been a follower of the "run a bunch of minutes, then walk one minute" school of running. Partly because it helps me get my breathing under control and stretch a little, not to mention drink some water rather than spilling it all over me, but also because of the mental help it provides by breaking the run into more manageable chunks. So today's run (my first real exercise in LONG time) was actually in 3-4 minute intervals of running, with 1-minute walks in between. When I am in better shape, I usually do 10 and 1. Something to aim for at least.

I have never been good at distance running, and I have to admit that I really don't enjoy it, even when I am in better shape than now. It just gets to be less painful, rather than more fun. However, I have found that it is really the best way for me to lose weight and trim down in general, so hopefully I can keep this up. I am also hoping the novelty of the jogging stroller will be good motivation when it comes next week.

So the run itself...I was super-slow, a little cold when running into the wind, and generally dying by the end. On the positive side, my shins didn't hurt and my feet didn't fall asleep (I know, I usually tie my shoes too tight) - these were my main issues when I last quit running. But I have felt like crap for the rest of today. I have never been a believer that exercising gives you more energy during the rest of the day. Or, it could be this silly cold we have been passing around for the last couple of days. If that is what it is, sorry Kean family!

One up side for the run - I set out saying I was going to do 5km regardless of how long it took me. I had previously mapped out a couple of routes on Gmaps Pedometer and thought I remembered which one was the 5km version. When I got out there I quickly realized there was no way I would be able to do the route I had planned, so I cut out about a third - and I was annoyed that it still took me so long to do. When I got home I decided to map the route I did to see how long it was, and it turned out to be 5km! I guess I had mixed up the two routes and the one I was thinking of was longer - somewhere between 6-7 km. So I felt a little better about the whole thing.

At any rate, that was my running adventure for today. Hopefully they will get less eventful, more a part of the weekly routine, and more "fun". At least the nicer weather will definitely help and I am sure I will appreciate any running I have done once ultimate starts again.

Next post - our broken pool. Another sigh...

1 comment:

haggaret said...

Nice work PTL! I too have just started running again after pretty much taking the winter off. Dave and I are running either before or after work on Tuesdays and Thursday and then throwing in a long run on the weekend sometime. I missed my long run this weekend because I was busy enjoying my bachelorhood. :)

Like you - I don't really enjoy running. I kind of like your description of "it just gets to be less painful, rather than more fun." I always found that running with someone helped a lot. I remember doing those 32 km runs alone...with no music...now that sucked!!!

Anyways, well done! You know race weekend is coming up in May - you should sign up for a race, that'll give you some motivation to keep going.