Sunday, February 17, 2008

Catch-up time – September 6, 2006

I have been completely derelict in my blogging duties and have not written anything in over a month. That said, there is much to catch up on!

I’ll start back in July, when Rory and I did the City Chase in Ottawa. She’s already blogged about it (here) and I will add my two cents. We decided to enter the race fairly last minute – we had both done it back in 2004 and had a lot of fun, but we both had different partners then (yay Deb). Anyway, on a lark we paid up and ended up doing really well! Experience definitely counts in these things. We ended coming 29th overall and we were the 2nd place all female team. It is reassuring to know that we were that more than 10 minutes behind the 1st place all female team so that even if we had run a little faster and a little more, it wouldn’t have made us first! We agreed that we didn't really love any of the checkpoints, but mostly enjoyed the fact that we were pretty smart about the whole thing and finished well. No matter what people say, winning (or doing well) always makes sports, games, urban obstable challenges, whatever - much more enjoyable!

Anyway, I highly recommend the City Chase as a fun way to spend a Saturday. The only irky thing is that it costs a fair bit to do ($150 per team) and it is questionable how much of the proceeds are donated to charity. There are no claims of charitable contributions that I can see, but I believe the organizers partner with a not-for-profit of some type every year. I can understand that this is a fairly expensive event to put on, but I would generally feel better about forking out the dough if I at least knew a little more about how much money goes to good charitable organizations.

No comments: