Friday, February 29, 2008

40+ weeks and still waiting...

As you can probably tell, I am not super-excited that I haven't given birth yet. I was really keen on having this kid in February, though not for any particularly good reason, and the fact that it is not going to happen is a little bit of a bummer. At this point I have basically convinced myself that I will be induced next weekend and that my likelihood of having a C-section is now much greater. I know there is still a good chance that I could go into labour on my own during the next week, but right now it doesn't feel very likely. Nothing whatsoever is happening!!! I am starting to understand what Amy went through when she had Liam. :)

Since I have now been off work for about 3 weeks, you may wonder how I am keeping myself busy - I have not been too successful with that at all. I am trying to catch up on all the emails I neglected over the past few months, I've been looking into writing a will, I need to check out some mutual funds to try and revamp my RRSP (but I really have no motivation to get that done), my brother tried to convince me that I should actually do my own taxes this year for the first time (instead of having my accountant/mother do them for me as usual), but I don't know if that is likely to happen since I don't even have my T4 yet. What else??? I am working my way through book club books, but as interesting as they are, I can't seem to stay awake while reading. I haven't been getting out to walk Trus much, because of the cold weather and because I only have a certain amount of endurance for him pulling me along at this point. Hopefully we can go when it warms up later today. Other than that, I have been watching far too much stupid TV. I am trying to stay away from it, but sometimes I do just get sucked in for a few hours. And my desire to clean really hasn't kicked in yet - I understand that it can be helpful in stimulating labour, but a lifelong aversion to cleaning can't be overcome just like that! :)

So that is my whiny post...expect a few more over the next couple of days! :)

9 comments:

haggaret said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
haggaret said...

Be happy that your baby wont be born today. I just finished reading an article about all the difficulties leap year day babies (or leaplings) have when trying to input their birthday into various web forms, etc. You don't want to submit your child to that do you? :)

I've heard there is something else that can stimulate labour...something that Greg might be able to help you out with. ;)

P.S. This damn blog wont allow me to edit my comments so I had to delete the old one and post a new one. Argh!

danakean said...

lyss, don't listen to kevin - it's so not worth it!!!!

good luck with everything though, i am crossing my fingers that you go into labour sooner rather than later or not at all:)

Anonymous said...

Hey Alyssa... hang in there. I've been wanting to call to see how you're doing, but knowing what it's like for your due date to come and go (and wait over a week after), I didn't want to be one of the ones calling and saying "anything yet"?! Just know that the longer the baby is in you, the better for him/her. I know it's frustrating, but it is better for them that way... One thing I'd encourage you to do is ask your OB for an ultrasound to make sure things are ok with the baby. Turns out there was no amniotic fluid left when Christine was born, so I probably should have been induced earlier than I was - and we had no idea until she was born. She turned out fine, but it's still not too good for them. You'll probably see your OB every couple of days now, so you'll have lots of opportunity to ask for it.

In the meantime - walking/exercise (as good as cleaning), what Kevin was insinuating and spicy food supposedly help. Not that they did for us, but who knows... You may luck out...
ps: Trev predicted March 10th. We'll see... :) Just try and hang in there. If you guys are up for a ride down for a visit, we'd love to have you.

Anonymous said...

Now I see what Kevin means... I forgot to sign off on the last post... rather than delete it and start over, I'll just say that the last "anonymous" comment was from me!

Julie

Unknown said...

Thanks for all the encouragement...I do have an ultrasound booked for Monday so it is just a couple of days of worrying to get through. And I suppose you never know what can happen in the meantime. Thanks for the invite Julie - I'll see if we're up for a drive on the weekend. Greg might enjoy the diversion from all the things I will be making him do.

Cleaning that is...I don't know what you guys were thinking! :)

Anonymous said...

Trev also suggested a long drive along a bumpy road or jumping on a trampoline... don't know if that helps, but...

Julie

Anonymous said...

So as Jules wrote above I've already claimed the 10th...anyone else want in on this pool?

TDM

Anonymous said...

Any news???

We missed you at Book Club last night :-(

Jody.