Sunday, February 17, 2008

December 31, 2007

December 31, 2007 magnify

Hard to believe that I haven’t written an entry for more than a year, but just for Kevin, I am making sure to do at least one in 2007. Cutting it a little close to the wire, I know.

So 2007…what to say? It has clearly gone by in a blur. The heart-wrenching event I referred to in the last (long ago) post was actually the miscarriage I had in fall 2006. At the time I really wanted to write about it, more just as a cathartic thing, but one thing led to another and I never managed to get any thoughts down. Not that I am trying to gloss over it or anything like that, but time does bring perspective and the fact that I am now 7 months pregnant really helps to make the memories less painful. So that is where we are at – we are expecting our first baby on February 28, 2008. And yes, 2008 is a leap year! And no, we don’t know what the gender is – hopefully a healthy gender. J

Otherwise, 2007…I changed jobs and became a manager for the first time. Definitely a learning experience and one that I am so glad I had. Not sure what will happen following maternity leave, but I might well be in this job for a while longer. There are so many things that I would have loved to do in this position, but because of the pregnancy I really had to focus my energy on making sure the immediate needs were taken care of and my long-term view basically only extended to February. Maybe next time around I can tackle some of the bigger challenges. Ha! As though I am going to have more energy when I have a one-year old to worry about…

Greg and I also bought a new house this year – just around the corner from our old one. We are really loving it, slowly getting it more and more to feel like our home. Next challenge is to finish putting up pictures (maybe a never-ending task), and of course, to decorate the baby’s room. We (I) have a plan, but basically we are just waiting for stuff to come in and then I will put Greg to work! At least it is all painted already. A big hit with the house is the hot tub on the back deck - check out Kevin's blog for more details.

Otherwise, things were pretty much the norm. We went to Mexico last February for Ted and Jamie’s wedding – which was totally awesome. I love group trips!!! We basically chilled on the beach for 7 straight days with no guilt because we had been to the area before and didn’t really feel the need to go on any side trips. The wedding was great and of course Jamie (and Ted) looked gorgeous.

Another important event was Dan and Andrea's wedding in Toronto in October - it was also a fantastic time. Being D&A (or Dandrea), they had to do things their own way, and with a very detailed plan for all of it. But the planning definitely paid off and they had a really great afternoon and night, with a very fun party. 2007 was a good year for brothers getting married!

(Maybe just ignore the fact that I am wearing the same dress at both weddings...it was a comfortable dress whether pregnant or not and they were two totally different crowds!!!)

And we just saw the movie Juno – we both really enjoyed it. It was funny, without being farcical, and touching at the same time. I had to cry a little at the end (I am pregnant after all), and she did just give birth. And of course, I always enjoy movies with the subject of my girl crush, Jennifer Garner. Sigh…

Maybe I will try to write up a couple more restaurant reviews soon – considering that we may not get out to nice places much more in the near future. But then again, we do like to eat an awful lot, so I imagine we will make good use of the grandparent babysitters!

Here’s to 2008 – hope everyone has a happy and healthy new year!

No comments: