Sunday, February 17, 2008

The weekend - July 10, 2006

The weekend - July 10, 2006 magnify

We didn't have that exciting a weekend but it was nice overall...cooked dinner on Friday (actually quite a change for me!), had a nice dinner out on Saturday at Kinki in the market to celebrate the unofficial good news about the job, and then went to see "The Devil Wears Prada". Of course Greg was one of about 5 males in the audience, but he suffered through it. I decided it was my turn to pick the movie because we had seen a fair number of movies based on comics lately (definitely not my first choice). Even though the movie was fairly superficial, there was a good little life lesson about being too attached to your job. I suppose I can relate to that and it made Greg think that he's right about me working too hard.

With respect to Kinki, that was my second time eating there. The first time I went with Rory and as far as I recall, we had great food and great service. I had heard in the meantime that the service was no good, but Greg and I really enjoyed both the food and the “atmosphere” on Saturday night. It wasn’t super-busy, but we had a seat under the covered patio and the food was delicious. It is definitely the best sushi I have had in Ottawa…though I suppose that isn’t saying too much. Honestly, for the maki I ate I would have probably paid a third of the price in Toronto. Sigh...My favourite Japanese restaurant in Toronto is New Generation Sushi (mostly it is really good quality fish for really good prices - there isn't too much "atmosphere" though!)

On Sunday we went over to Greg's parents' place and went for a swim in the pool. As you can see from the picture, our dog Trus is not much of a swimmer. Mostly he got his exercise from running around the pool and barking at us all afternoon. Have you ever heard of a dog that can't doggie paddle?

Sunday night we watched the movie Syriana. (Note: we watch a lot of movies. Greg takes DVDs out from the library and there is no predicting what will come in when. They get a lot of new releases around the same time that Blockbuster does and Greg reserves them online. Way cheaper…but sometimes a little bit challenging to watch them all before they are due.) At any rate, back to Syriana. It was definitely an interesting, gripping movie. But I can’t help but feel that I missed the point of about half of it. I’m sure I could watch it several more times to figure out what was happening, but who has time for that? Just typing this entry was almost more energy than I have…

No comments: